The Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier (CSSF) has published a statement on Virtual Assets, Virtual Asset Service Providers (VASPs) and the related registration process, in light of the Laws of 25 March 2020 amending the Anti-Money Laundering/Combating the Financing of Terrorism (AML/CFT) Law, whereby the CSSF has become the AML/CFT supervisory authority for VASPs in Luxembourg. Entities who are established or provide services in Luxembourg have to register with the CSSF in case they are providing one or more of the following services on behalf of their clients or for their own accounts:
– exchange between virtual assets and fiat currencies, including the exchange between virtual currencies and fiat currencies;
– exchange between one or more forms of virtual assets;
– transfer of virtual assets;
– safekeeping and/or administration of virtual assets or instruments enabling control over virtual assets, including custodian wallet services;
– participation in and provision of financial services related to an issuer’s offer and/or sale of virtual assets.